*Please note, this post may contain affiliate links.
BlueHost vs. GoDaddy – What You Should Know Before You Begin
While buy most of our domain names on GoDaddy, if you are just starting your blog or website and you still need to buy hosting, we recommend doing everything in BlueHost!
We have an entire step-by-step blog post all about building your website from scratch – from purchasing hosting and your domain name to installing WordPress and uploading a theme. Click here to learn how to build your own wordpress site with Bluehost!
Buying Your Domain on GoDaddy
Almost all of our domains were purchased from GoDaddy, and we could not recommend them enough. Their customer service is top notch and their interface is extremely user friendly.
- To get started, first create an account with GoDaddy and log in.
- Once you’re logged in, you should see a bar that says “Find your perfect domain name.” Enter the domain name you want and click the Search Domain button:
3. If the domain name that you want is available, you will be able to select it on the next screen. It will also give you the option to choose other extensions. Extensions are the top-level parts of the domain such as .com, .net, .us, .life, etc
If the domain name that you want is not available, it will show you options for similar domains or that same second-level domain (the “quarterforyourcrisis” part of “quarterforyourcrisis.com”) with different extensions:
4. Once you select your domain name(s) and extension(s), click the orange Continue to Cart button.
5. The next screen will show you a few offers and as well as ask you about privacy protection. If you want to keep it cheap, then privacy is not needed by any means. That being said, you will most likely receive a ton of emails from people or companies offering to create your website, brand, etc. When we started we kept ours public + just sent those babies into our spam folder. If you do not want any of your personal information (name, email, phone number, etc) publicly available for the domain registration records, then we’d recommend selecting the privacy protection.
5. When you go to check out, you will be able to select your term (how long you want to purchase the domain for) and privacy options again. You also have the option to “round up for charity” when you check out. We absolutely LOVE this feature on GoDaddy! Such a great way to make use of those extra cents 🙂
6. Pro tip: Using “Honey” for discount codes. One of our bagillion extensions on our Chrome browser is called Honey. It basically just sits quietly on your browser until you go to check out and then it magically shows you any coupons that may help you save money! It’s also totally free to download. Win-win in our minds 🙂 You can download Honey here!
And voila! You’re all set with your domain name.
How to Set Up WordPress with Your New Domain
Now that you have a shiny, new domain name, head on over to this post that explains all about building your first website on WordPress! It’s a step-by-step post that will show you exactly how to take your new domain, buy hosting, install WordPress, and set up your theme.